The choice of streaming microphones depends on the purpose of use of the microphone such as gameplay, online product sales, motivational speech, online reviews, academic sessions, etc. In this article, we set audio quality during streaming as the first priority. New streaming microphones are easier to use and can be integrated with software. A good microphone possesses not only smooth control but also facilitates to control of streaming audio. We have chosen the following best five options for streaming microphones:
Table of Contents
A comparison of the microphones with important features or parameters:
|Features||Five best streaming Microphone|
|Shure MV7||Blue Yeti X||Rode X XDM-100||Razer Seiren V2 Pro||Elgato Wave DX|
|Frequency response||50 Hz to 16kHz||20Hz – 20kHz||20Hz – 20kHz||20Hz – 20kHz||50Hz-15kHz|
|Polar pattern||Unidirectional Cardioid||Multipattern (cardioid/ bidirectional/ omnidirectional)||Unidirectional Cardioid||Unidirectional Cardioid||Unidirectional Cardioid|
|Connection method||USB or XLR||USB||USB-C||USB-C to A||3-pin XLR|
|Pop filter||Not included||Not included||Included||Included||Included|
|Condenser or Dynamic||Dynamic||Condenser||Dynamic||Dynamic||Condenser|
|Bit depth- Sample Rate||24-bit 48kHz||16-bit 48kHz||24-bit 48kHz||24-bit 96kHz||–|
|Maximum SPL||132 dB||122 dB||120 dB||120dB||120 dB|
|DSP||DSP Presets: Near/Far, Dark/Natural/Bright||No DSP||Internal DSP for APHEX® voice processing||No DSP||No DSP|
Shure MV7 microphone
Price: $269.00 on Amazon
- Both USB/XLR output allows digital or analog recording
- Touch panel for control over gain, monitoring, headphone mix, and mic muting.
- The Built-in headphone output for monitoring while recording.
- Optimized frequency response for rich and natural vocal reproduction.
- Available ShurePlus desktop application for multiple options like audio processing, Auto-Level Mode automatically adjusts gain and compression settings, switchable EQ filters, etc.
- Rugged and professional all-metal construction
- Adjustable integrated yoke for standard 5/8″-27 threaded stands or booms
The Shure MV7 is an excellent-sounding XLR/USB hybrid microphone suitable for podcasters and streamers as it supports plugging into a USB audio interface and is easy to set up for XLR down the line. This is a hybrid USB/XLR microphone that supports the flexibility one deserves. The MV7 provides the adaptability of XLR with professional audio interfaces and the versatility of Type-B Micro inputs for recording on laptops and mobile devices.
The mic has especially in that it isolates voice and suppresses loud hums of desktop PC, air conditioner, and other ambient noises. For better performance, it is better to use a shield to block one’s breath from the mic, or not confront the mic directly in front of the voice giver.
In addition, the MV7 comes with the ShurePlus Motiv software that allows tweaking and fine-tuning of sound easily. Just with a simple click one can add voice compression, adjust EQ, and add a limiter. By selecting the Auto Level Mode, the task of level controlling becomes very easy. It becomes very much useful when recording involves sudden changes in voice and singing. Also, in the case of new users, this feature can lead to an acoustically good recording.
So, Shure’s this hybrid XLR/USB microphone supports good-grade sound with little set-up and expertise. It seems to be a little expensive compared to other streaming microphones however, its flexibility justifies the cost.
- Dual connection (USB or XLR)
- Essy to use software (ShurePlus MOTIV)
- Excellent quality of vocal
- Mic stand not included
- Micro-USB rather than Type-C
Blue Yeti X microphone
Price: $169.99 on Logitech
- Four-Capsule Array which captures sound with focus and great clarity and is very much suitable for professional Streaming, Podcasting, and Youtube
- Led metering for visual recording voice Level and easily adjustable for Up or Down ensuring high quality broadcast sound.
- The multi-functional smart knob allows fine-tuning of on-stream sound with the help of Mic Gain, Mute, Headphone Volume, and Blend
- Blue Voice Software ensures perfect vocal sound and can enhance different effects, advanced modulation and HD audio Samples.
The Blue Yeti X has a great improvement in its mic that enhances the quality of the audio compared to the previous version. The microphone follows the original Yeti design with additional extra features. It is very easy to set up. The Logitech G Hub software with Yeti X mic enables easy customization of the sound.
The Yeti X offers higher digital audio resolution compared to the original. It also has four condenser capsules whereas the previous one had three capsules. The design is eye-catching. The control over audio is much better as the Yeti X possesses a multifunction LED ring on the mic. With a little more price the Yeti provides better quality and control on sound compared to the original Yeti. In short, the Blue Yeti X provides great sound, several options for patterns, flexibility in recording, on-mic display of levels, and an easy gain control knob.
- A number of customization options
- Smart design with LED rings
- Four modes options for recording
- Doesn’t include a pop filter
- Cannot be used with standard mic stands
Rode X XDM-100 microphone
Price: $249.00 on Amazon
- High-quality dynamic capsule for rich and natural audio
- Very good room noise rejection capability
- Good Preamplifier facility
- Professional pop filter, shock mount, and headphone extension cable included
- Zero-latency headphone output with level control and mute button
- Internal DSP for advanced voice processing
- Fully integrated with UNIFY, the virtual mixing software for streamers and content developer
The Rode X XDM-100 is a versatile USB microphone with preamp and digital signal processing capability. It is a plug-and-play microphone and is very easy to use. It is a cylindrical dynamic microphone in black with red elegant accents. It includes a pop filter for better quality and a shock mount for stabilization. It uses USB-C and extra power from the USB is used for the internal digital signal processor and revolution preamp. The pop filter sleeve minimizes unwanted popping and clicking noises very well. The Revolution preamp combined with the Aphex digital signal processing results in a balanced, warm, and natural voice. The Rode X XDM-100 is integrated with Unify software of RODE which allows better audio balancing during streaming and content creation. In addition, the zero-latency microphone monitoring is ideal for high-quality studio headphones.
- Excellent audio quality
- Elegant design and construction
- Shock mount and pop filter
- Touch-sensitive mute button
- Only support USB-C, not USB-A
Razer Seiren V2 Pro microphone
Price: $149.99 on Amazon
- Dynamic Microphone provides a deep, warm quality of sounds. In addition to that it possesses greater noise suppression than other traditional cardioid mics.
- High Pass Filter allows for eliminating background humming and buzzing so that voice recording seems to be free of any side noises.
- The Digital Analogue Limiter of the Razer Seiren V2 Pro is a nice feature that can be programmed to automatically prevent clipping and peaking. As a result, the audio during streaming is very much smooth.
- Mic monitoring can be done by plugging a headset into the microphone. As a result, self-voice monitoring is possible. With the help of a monitoring mic audio levels and interferences can be minimized.
- The microphone also has a built-in shock absorber and mic windsock which minimizes vibrations from knocks and bumps or pops and hisses. So, listeners do not face potentially loud or jarring noises during the listening of the streaming audio.
- Gain control and mute button help adjust the output audio settings quickly and easily. These buttons are located on the mic itself.
The Razer Seiren pro has an amazing look with a USB connection at the back that does not disturb the clean and smooth design of the microphone. The microphone is placed on a swivel arm mounted to a heavy metal stand. There are few controls on mic like mic gain, volume for monitoring and a backlit mute button.
Seiren VR Pro’s mic membrane is placed differently compared to other USB mic and quality of audio depends on the position of the sound source. Optimal audio performance is ensured by speaking directly into the top of the mic. The Seiren V2 Pro works best with the audio source nice and close to the mic. For that a boom arm is needed to keep the mic position correctly.
Razer has a software suite but it is better to focus on mic position and gain control rather than spending much time on software tuning.
- Simplicity of design with great look
- Powerful Razer Synapse software
- Good quality Mic stand with built-in swivel
- Easy voice monitoring
- Razer Synapse doesn’t support Mac
- Best set up for audio can take time
- Require use of boom arm
Elgato Wave DX microphone
Price: $99.99 on Amazon & on Elgato
- It has a premium dynamic Capsule, speech optimization facility, ability to capture exceptional detail and clarity of audio, and warm and true-to-life sound character.
- It supports any audio interface and does not require any booster.
- Unwanted background noise is minimized with noise rejection.
- The Cardioid Polar Pattern of the microphone widens the region.
- Adaptable to any standard mic stand and easy adjustable the mic position avoiding cable jam.
The Wave DX is the first dynamic microphone of Elgato after huge success of Wave 1 and Wave 2. The Elgato Wave DX are found excellent in almost every area. The Wave DX consists of a Lewitt audio capsule within it’s steel chassis. Sound quality is very good with strong and balanced vocals. Beside that Elgato’s software supports refining the audio.
The Wave DX possess a pleasantly bright and neutral tone that suits a wide range of content creators. The rejection of unwanted noise is a tricky feature that can be used with effectively placing the microphone. However, the built in pop filter can be sometime frustrating if one wants to include some bumps or knocks. Overall, for a price of $99.00 it is a very good balanced dynamic streaming microphone with high quality sound.
- Clear and quality audio with balanced sound
- Digital mixing software support
- Works well with Elgato ecosystem
- Supports only single polar pattern
- Not so versatile
- Doesn’t contain a stand
- No USB connection
There are number of factors than needs to be considered before selecting a streaming microphone such as type of use, microphone type, audio quality, sample rate, audio frequency range, price, etc.
Besides that, ease to use, budget, extra cost for additional hardware, software integration for streaming etc. have influence on decision of purchasing a streaming microphone. Here we recommend Shure MV7 as the best choice for the streaming microphone in 2023.
For limited budget Elgato Wave DX will be a good choice. We also include Rode XDM-100 as another good quality USB microphone. Blue Yeti and Razer Seiren have already shown their potential and could be a very good choice for mid-range streaming microphone.