In today’s digital world, content creation has become very important due to its different use cases in multiple fields of social media marketing, YouTube, and Instagram. Many content creators are now focusing on creating more and better engaging quality content, especially in video format. According to some research, it has been observed that people love to engage with video content more compared to other forms of content.
To become a digital content creator and craft engaging content, you will need a good videography setup for this. Therefore, having a good camera is necessary, but with the addition of an external monitor, to enhance video production. Thus, in this article, we have listed some of the best on-camera monitors for you to select as per your needs.
Table of Contents
13 Best On-Camera Monitors Enhancing Video Quality
Getting knowledge about various factors like size, resolution, and budget makes it easier to choose the right monitor according to your needs. Thus, to help you understand these factors, we have listed some on-camera monitors with their specifications below.
1. Hollyland Mars M1 Enhanced
The Hollyland Mars M1 Enhanced is a more powerful and all-in-one equipment from its previous standard model. This tool works as a receiver (RX), transmitter (TX), and monitor. It offers great features, including LUTs, vectorscope, Zebra pattern, waveforms, Anamorphic De-squeeze, crosshatch, image flip, and more, when used with your camera. Beyond the monitoring functionality, the M1 Enhanced can transmit and receive video signals to and from several other monitors and Android and iOS devices.
Looking into its basic operation, the Hollyland Mars M1 Enhanced makes an amazing first impression. It boots really fast, showing crisp visuals with true colors on its 5.5-inch touchscreen display. M1 Enhanced is equipped with 1000 nits brightness (maximum) and 1920 x 1080 video resolution. With a pixel density of 403i, this on-camera monitor + transmitter offers a detailed and clear viewing experience.
When it comes to touchscreen response, you will be glad to know that it provides accurate swipes and touches without delay. Moreover, the Hollyland Mars M1 Enhanced is color-calibrated, and you can also fine-tune the RGB settings from this device’s interface. Plus, the M1 Enhanced has a high-quality screen protector and a USB Type-C converter.
Moreover, there is a D-tap into DC power cable that lets you use D-tap batteries to instantly make this monitor functional. And if that’s not your choice, you can also power it through an NP-F-style battery by directly attaching it to the system.
- Smart channel scan
- Universal compatibility
- Latest capsule antennas
- Ultra-low latency of 0.08s
- 5.5-inch touchscreen LCD
- Record and playback functionality
- 4K30 HDMI input/output and SDI input
- Receiver and transmitter mode switching
- USB Type-C presets and 3D LUT import ability
- High-quality on-camera monitor with a wireless range of up to 450 feet
2. Atomos Ninja V+8K Monitor
If you want to enhance your videography journey with the help of an external top-of-the-line camera monitor, choosing Atomos Ninja V+8K is the best option. This on-camera monitor offers a wide range of features and capabilities for professional videographers and photographers. Furthermore, this monitor supports multiple video formats, including HDR, 2K, 4K, and 8K.
With all these formats, it becomes more compatible with various recording devices and cameras. In addition, it has a lightweight aluminum construction with a 5-inch-high quality touchscreen display. You can also use multiple accessories like batteries, power adapters, and more with this Ninja V+ as necessary.
- Ninja V+ has a brightness of 1000 cd/m square to enhance the video quality.
- You can use it to record the videos in various Log formats and with the help of LUTs.
- Users can easily use its HDMI 2.0 output/input ports as necessary.
- This on-camera can record in multiple formats, including Apple ProRes, Apple ProRes RAW, and Avid DNxHR/HR.
- You can also remotely control it with the help of the AtomRemote app, but it works within a range of 15 meters.
3. Portkeys BM5 III WR
Looking for an on-camera monitor to have closed eyes on your shots without any errors? If yes, Portkeys BM5WR Touchscreen Field Monitor can be your perfect partner. This monitor allows you to view your footage crystal clear from any angle with the help of a 5.5-inch screen. It offers you a 1920 x 1080 stunning resolution, which makes sure that you get an amazing shot every single time.
This on-camera monitor also provides users with waveforms, vector scopes, and other advanced tools that help them make their shots perfect without any issues. In addition, footage can be previewed in various color spaces with built-in LUTs to make the video look more outstanding. This monitor is also super versatile, with different input and output options, so it fits multiple cameras and devices.
- This monitor comes with 2000 nits brightness and weighs only 383 g, which is exceptionally lightweight.
- It supports wireless control for most of the Sony and Blackmagic Design cameras.
- This on-camera monitor allows you to load custom LUTs via the USB port.
- Portkeys BM5 III WR also features an advanced algorithm for performing nail focus efficiently.
- It is equipped with 5 oscilloscope functions, which are RGB oscilloscope, vector oscilloscope, brightness oscilloscope, RGB histogram, and brightness histogram.
4. Blackmagic Design HDR Monitor
The Blackmagic Design HDR Monitor is considered the top on-camera monitor available in the market. This on-camera monitor gives you full HD screen resolution to ensure you record high-quality video without any disturbance. Besides this, you can use it to capture content in 4K at 60FPS by using it with pro-level DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.
For professionals, this monitor offers exposure tools, focus assist features, 3D LUTs, and much more. Its brightness also goes up to 2500 nits, which gives intense illumination to assist you in taking detailed shots. Besides this, it is compatible with USB-C 3.1 generation and UHS-II SD card slot, which enhances the storage capacity.
- This monitor offers support to various codecs, including Blackmagic RAW, Apple ProRes, and DNxHR.
- It supports two types of controllers: Recorder Control and External Control.
- You can also use this on-camera monitor to directly record on your external hard drive.
- It can also work as your live streaming assistant to go live on YouTube, Discord, etc.
- Due to 2500 nits, professionals can quickly shoot in direct sunlight with this monitor.
5. FEELWORLD F6+ 5.7 Inch FHD IPS Monitor
If you are looking for a monitor with a built-in battery pack, choosing FLEEWORLD F6+ can be a good option. This monitor provides exceptional picture quality for indoor and outdoor shooting with its 5.7-inch 4K display. Moreover, it has 450 nits brightness and 1920 x 1080 resolution for clear and vibrant visuals.
It has a DC 8V power output interface and a built-in battery pack for powering DSLR conveniently. The kit that this monitor provides includes a monitor, swivel arm, sunshade, and HDMI cables as well. Furthermore, it supports 4K HDMI input with accurate REC 709 color calibration for shooting authentic images.
- For viewing angles, a swivel arm is provided for making easy adjustments.
- It features a Peaking Focus Assistant to help the photographer in capturing the sharpest picture.
- This on-camera also has a False Colors feature to adjust the camera exposure.
- You can also monitor the audio level with the help of its Audio Level Meter feature.
6. Lilliput A7s 4K Monitor
Lilliput A7s is a versatile and powerful on-camera monitor that has a beautiful 7-inch IPS display with 1920 x 1200 resolution. Many users use this on-camera monitor to see sharper details of their images and videos to create better content. Besides this, it has a wide range of resolutions for both HDMI In and HDMI Out, such as 480, 576i, 720p, 1080p, and 4K, to enhance the user experience.
In addition, this monitor has 16: 9, 2.35:1, and 1.85:1 aspect ratio with 4K UHD quality to clearly display the video in optimal quality. Moreover, several additional features like a speaker, earphone slot, and customizable keys make working with videos easier than ever.
- Lilliput A7s has built-in battery plates that support various battery types for extended use.
- It has a 4K HDMI loop through output, so you can connect its output with any other device with an HDMI input port.
- This camera monitor has various advanced functionalities, including timecodes, pixel zoom, false color, and image flips.
7. ANDYCINE A6 Plus 4K
ANDYCINE A6 Plus is an external monitor that can prove to be a good choice for professional photographers and videographers. This monitor helps you boost the work quality with a wide range of features. A sharp and clear image with 1920×1080 native resolution can be seen on the screen to focus on the smallest details.
It also offers 4K resolution and a high contrast ratio of 1000:1 to display deep blacks and bright whites more clearly. Besides this, it is also compatible with multiple computers, other devices, and cameras due to its HDMI and USB ports.
- This monitor has 3D LUT built-in for quickly matching footage to a specific color profile.
- It also features a waveform feature that helps in calibrating high-end video cameras.
- Its built-in battery can be used for extended usage without any issues.
- Its Audio Meter allows you to get high-quality sound without any distortion.
- ANDYCINE A6 offers you a touch screen, which will allow several finger touch to access several features on the menu easily.
8. Atomos Shinobi 5″ 4K HDMI Monitor
If you are a vlogger or a person who doesn’t have much budget for heavy shooting equipment, Atomos Shinobi can be used in such cases. It doesn’t offer recording capabilities, but still, it is a good fit for a camera that does not have a fully articulating screen. In addition, it has a stunning 5” 10-bit HDR or SDR display to allow you to view videos or images in perfect quality.
For vloggers and social media content creators, this on-camera monitor is ideal due to its lightweight and portability. Besides this, it has a calibrated screen and long battery run time to optimize the way you record and view the visual content.
- 1920 x 1080 pixels display is supported by this monitor for enhanced content quality.
- Atomos Shinobi has a Polycarbonate ABS Plastic body with a passive cooling system to avoid any performance issues.
- You can make use of exposure tools like histogram, waveform, and false color to optimize your content creation process.
- It shows you HDR pictures to focus on detailed options effectively.
- This camera monitor is lightweight with just 196g weight and 1″ thinness for enhancing the portability.
9. FEELWORLD F5 Pro V4 6 Inch
For using camera monitors in the professional field, FEELWORLD F5 Pro V4 6 Inch can stand out from the crowd with its easy-to-use design. Many filmmakers and photographers use it for enhanced color calibration to provide sharp and rich color images. Additionally, you can also use it with a wide range of cameras easily due to its compatibility and flexible power options.
In addition, its histogram, false color, and focus assist feature can also be used to get accurate focus and exposure of the content. This camera monitor has a 6-inch screen and 1920×1080 resolution to let you clearly view recorded videos and photographs. With this monitor, you can install external power equipment easily for better performance and quality content creation.
- You can easily zoom in with this monitor with a pinch-to-zoom gesture.
- With its intuitive controls and menu keys, you can customize the way you handle the visual content.
- A Sony F970 external installation and power kit is attached to the rear of the monitor, allowing for the convenient addition and removal of external devices such as wireless transmitters.
- This monitor offers user REC–709 color calibration with 500-nit brightness.
10. Desview R7 II Camera Field Monitor
The Desview R7 II field monitor offers 2600 nits brightens to its users for shooting outdoors in the sunlight. It is a touchscreen monitor with easy-to-use specifications, even with gloves in cold weather. With this monitor, you can also customize shortcut buttons on the screen to quickly access several features as per your needs.
Moreover, it supports 4K video recording with Full HD resolution to record quality content without blur effect. Besides this, it also has a histogram, vector scope, and waveform advanced features to enhance the picture quality and focus on details.
- It also has the HDR Monitoring feature to check the in-depth image and dynamic range details.
- For long working hours, this monitor offers an eye-saver mode and flicker-free technology to minimize eye stress.
- It is compatible with all HDMI cameras and can handle 4K HDMI inputs, with a maximum resolution of 3840x2160p at 30 Hz and 4096x2160p at 24 Hz.
- Customized 3D-LUT preview is supported by this monitor for better visibility.
11. Atomos Shogun 7 Pro HDR Monitor
One of the most well-known external cameras used professionally in the film, photography, and video industry is Atomos Shogun 7 Pro. It offers a 7-inch IPS LCD display that enhances the quality of images recorded by any HDMI or SDI camera. Moreover, it has the ability to capture footage in 5.7K Apple ProRes RAW or 4K Apple ProRes, with further capability to shoot RAW at high frame rates.
Users can also connect it with multiple devices using its HDMI 2.0, 3G–SDI, and 12G-SDI inputs and outputs. In addition, a built-in LUT library is also featured in it to allow users quick access to professional color grades for the footage.
- The Shogun 7 directly acquires RAW data from the camera’s sensor, maintaining the unaltered image in its original state.
- For long-duration recording sessions, it has a built-in fan to cool things.
- It also features multiple image control features such as Pixel-to Pixel Zoom, Blue Only, False Color, Focus Peaking, etc.
- Shogun 7 provides the ability to optimize HDR exposure control while ensuring a smooth transition to SDR finishing during post-production.
12. Neewer F100 Camera Monitor
If you don’t have much budget for an expensive external monitor, then the Neewer F100 can be a good choice in such a situation. This is because it offers good features at a reasonable price, which can greatly improve your content creation. It has a 7-inch wide-angle IPS panel and an ultra-slim 17mm design illuminated by LED backlighting to facilitate content creation.
Moreover, a 1200:1 contrast ratio and 450nits of brightness are also provided by this on-camera monitor to allow you to see everything on-screen in optimum quality. You can also zoom, scan, and focus on the small details easily using this monitor. If you are new to on-camera monitors, this is a good fit for you initially.
- It also reduces the background volume to near zero while recording outdoors.
- 4K UHD HDMI ports are supported by this monitor for external connectivity.
- Monitoring tools such as Peaking Focus Assist, Check Field, and Custom Color Temperature are advanced features of this monitor.
- This on-camera monitor comes with a sun hood to help videographers or photographers in daylight.
13. SmallHD Indie 7 On-Camera Monitor
If you are a solo shooter or a director, SmallHD Indie 7 can be your best camera assistant to shoot high-quality content. It has a 7-inch Full HD touchscreen with high resolution to help you shoot outdoors quickly. Besides this, it gives you various viewing angles and easy-to-navigate menus on the touch screen to perform multiple actions.
Furthermore, it is ultra-thin and lightweight to assist the cameraman in handling it efficiently. Other than that, it is also compatible with RED KOMODO and RED DSMC2. In addition, it has PageOS 4 to give you quick access to a suite of tools like HD Waveform and 3D LUTs.
- You can use its 1800 nits’ brightness to shoot outdoors.
- HDMI and 3G-SDI ports are provided by this monitor with USB 2.0 and SD card slot.
- The presence of an Ethernet port enables wired control of the camera via the monitor’s touchscreen interface.
- This on-camera monitor supports importing the LUTs from the USB storage device or SD card.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Are on-camera monitors compatible with all types of cameras?
There is a limited type of cameras that have compatibility with monitors. This means that on-camera monitors are generally designed to be compatible with various cameras. However, their compatibility depends on the monitor’s inputs and the camera’s outputs. It’s essential to check the monitor’s specifications and your camera’s output options to ensure they match.
Q2: Can on-camera monitors be used for live streaming and recording simultaneously?
Yes, on-camera monitors can often be used for both live streaming and recording simultaneously without any technical error. These monitors provide a real-time display of what the camera is capturing, which is valuable for monitoring your shot while recording. You can easily connect the monitor to your camera’s HDMI or SDI output and then use the captured video feed for live streaming through a separate device or software.
Q3: What is the importance of resolution and display size in an on-camera monitor?
Resolution and display size are crucial factors for on-camera monitors to get clarity of the image you see. Having a higher-resolution monitor can assist you in displaying finer details and focusing on your shot more accurately. Thus, ensure to consider both the resolution and screen size to ensure you get the best results for your needs as per your needs while choosing a monitor.
To summarize this, we hope that now it is easier for you to choose the best on-camera monitor as per your needs. Moreover, by understanding the specifications of each monitor, you can effectively enhance your content quality. This is because these top external monitors give you a lot of different features to improve focus and view the details of images easily.