Information and thoughts are freely shared worldwide with the vast spread of the internet nowadays. However, social media platforms such as Facebook have set their community standards to ensure the safety and respect of everyone. Sometimes, you may see a message saying, “This message was removed because it doesn’t follow community standards,” and get confused with its reason.
In this article, we will explain in detail the meaning of this message to make you aware of its causes and consequences. We’ll also explore how Facebook controls content to ensure a safe online environment.
Can Facebook Scan Our Messages for Identifying Community Standards Violation?
Facebook claims that it scans our messages on its chat app to detect and block the content violating its community standards. The company scans for malicious content like child pornography or any message or image that does not meet its criteria with the help of its automated systems. Once the automated tools detect and flag a conversation for this, human moderators get involved in reviewing the procedure.
What Kind of Content Can Go Against Facebook Community Standards?
There are specific community policies on Facebook, and the Facebook community will flag your messages if you violate any policies or laws. The ” This message was removed because it doesn’t follow community standards” message only appears in the following cases:
- Hate Speech: Messages that contain hate speech and offensive language can be flagged by the Facebook community. If hate speech targets any individual or group based on factors like race, identity, gender, or disability, they are removed by Facebook.
- Violent Graphics: Any messages that promote gruesome clips and self-harm videos are also against the Facebook community. These types of harmful videos can cause panic and spread insightful ideas in the audience’s minds and are also taken down by Facebook.
- Harassment Issues: The Facebook community standard tracks down those messages that contain bullying, verbal, or sexual harassment. Moreover, the Facebook community does not tolerate any cyberbullying as it creates a harmful and unsafe environment.
- Cases of Scam and Fraud: There are many people who scam others online via SMS, advertisements, or links. These fraudulent activities are removed or reported by the Facebook community to protect users from potential financial loss.
- Misleading Information: Media users spread numerous amounts of misleading information or fake news on Facebook. It can raise conspiracy theories that can cause real-world panic or harm others. Therefore, Facebook removes these messages in order not to spread any misinformation.
- Threatening Messages: Users also experience messages that contain harmful and threatening messages. That can include messages like illegal activities, violence, or blackmailing and are also removed by the Facebook community to maintain a safe environment.
- Inappropriate Content: People also receive messages that are filled with inappropriate content, like nudity and pornography. These messages are strictly prohibited by the Facebook community and are immediately removed from the page.
What Happens When Facebook Removes My Content?
When Facebook removes your content, it immediately lets you know what you posted against its community standards. Normally, this automatically appears in your feed when you log in after content removal, but you can also find it anytime in your “Support Inbox.” Facebook states in a brief description the reason for your content removal and exactly which part of the community standards you didn’t follow, enabling you to avoid it in the future.
Your account may be restricted or disabled, depending upon the policy you violated, your previous history, and the number of strikes you got for such activities. However, if you believe your content or account got removed without any violation, you are always allowed to complain about this.
How Can You Complain When Facebook Messenger Removes Your Message?
Facebook’s automated systems hide the content or remove it when it detects a violation of community standards in your account. Nonetheless, there’s always space for mistakes in this detection system when deciding to take your content down.
If you think your content was removed for no reason, you can request a review, and the human moderators will take a careful look at the matter and make a decision. Your content or account will be successfully restored if it was mistakenly removed.
Step 1: To complain about this, first go to the “Menu” tab in the Facebook app. Then, scroll down and tap “Help and Support” to let a list of options appear.
Step 2: Afterward, tap “Support Inbox” and wait for the “Reports” window to load. Finally, open the “Your Alerts” messages, choose the required messages, and tap “Disagree with Decision.” After reviewing your complaint, you will receive a notification about the results and whether your content will be restored or not.
FAQs about Facebook Community Standards
Q1. How does Facebook enforce its Community Standards?
Facebook enforces its Community Standards using automatic systems and human content reviewers. These systems utilize AI machine learning to identify and remove any content that violates any of the Facebook Community Standards. Moreover, human reviewers handle all the complex cases of reports, warnings, review appeals, and account suspensions.
Q2. Can users appeal decisions related to message content removal?
Yes, users can easily appeal decisions related to content message removal on Facebook. They can file a request on Facebook if any of their messages violates the Community Standards. Moreover, users can provide additional reasons or context to the Facebook community. This way, they might consider reevaluating their decision by notifying you about the outcome.
Q3. Does Facebook monitor content automatically or manually?
The Facebook community uses a combination of automated systems along with human reviews that enforce their Community Standards. The system identifies violent content and removes it from the page, whereas human reviewers assess more complex cases. These cases include removing threatening, offensive, inappropriate, and other content from Facebook.
Q4. What should I do after receiving abusive messages on Facebook?
The first step you should take when receiving a harassment message is to report it on Facebook. Facebook takes instant action against that message and tracks it down. Additionally, users can also block the person who sent the message to prevent further contact with the same person. These two measures can help you from receiving any unwanted and abusive messages.
In conclusion, this particular message serves as a vital reminder of the rules and regulations established by Facebook to maintain a respectful online environment. Users should be aware of their rights to appeal content removal decisions and seek reinstatement if they believe their content was unjustly removed. As explained throughout the article, this complex system of content moderation aims to strike a balance between preserving freedom of speech and maintaining a secure online community.