We’ve all found ourselves in situations where we want to sneak around and view someone’s Instagram post in ghost mode.
Not like we’re stalking them; we just want to keep a tab to know what they are up to without them knowing.
Whether it’s your ex, kid, or a family member, you can preview their Instagram stories without leaving a trace.
So, gird yourself in your Invisible Man apparel and explore these four hacks to preview Instagram stories in ghost mode.
Table of Contents
Hack #1: Swipe and View from the Next Story
Talk of smart and sneaky. This method right here lets you preview Instagram stories without leaving a trace.
So, how does this work?
Rather than click directly on the Instagram story you want to view, you simply tap on the adjacent story to discreetly preview the previous story. Here is how it works:
#1: Start with the First Frame of the Adjacent Story
- Open your Instagram app and go to the stories bar, but wait! Don’t click on the story you want to preview.
- Instead, click on the next story while the first frame is still playing.
- Next, slightly slide your finger to the left. This takes you to the first frame of the previous story.
With this, you can get a quick peek of your target’s first story without your handle showing up in the “Seen by” list.
#2: Preview the Last Frame of the Story
You can also have a sneak peek at the last frame of your target’s Instagram story anonymously.
Here is how to do it.
- Tap on the first story of the adjacent account.
- While it is playing, carefully slide your finger to the right. This takes you back to the last frame of your target’s story
Using this hack gives you access to only the first and last frame of the account’s story you want to preview. You won’t see other frames in between.
Hack #2: Activate Your Phone’s Ghost Mode – the Airplane Mode Trick
Here is the simplest trick to preview someone’s Instagram stories without leaving a tiny trace. It is also the most effective ghost mode hack you can use.
Here’s how this hack works:
- Open the app on your device and log in to your account.
- Swipe down to reveal the Quick Menu Settings.
- Enable Airplane Mode to disable the internet connectivity on your device. With this, the connection between your device and Instagram servers is disconnected.
- Return to Instagram and go to the Story bar.
- From there, locate the story you want to preview anonymously and tap on the user’s profile picture.
- Wait for the story to load and view the story. Since your device currently has no Internet connection, it will not register your username under the “Seen by” list.
- When you are done, close the Instagram app and disable Airplane mode to restore Internet connectivity on your device.
One tiny detail worth mentioning here – you may be unable to preview the whole story.
This can happen if the video is not completely loaded before you enable Airplane Mode. However, it is a cool hack to peek at someone’s story without getting noticed.
Hack #3: Use “Close Friends” List to Your Advantage
To boost privacy and exclusive sharing of content, Instagram offers a “Close Friends” list feature. With this feature, users can share content with trusted friends.
The good thing about this feature is that when you are on the “Close Friends” list of someone, you can watch their stories secretly.
That is because stories shared with close friends do not have the same “Seen by” notifications as regular stories.
The only downside to this hack is that you must first be added to someone’s “Close Friends” list to use it. For a start, not everyone activates this feature.
Therefore, it may not be an applicable method to anonymously preview someone’s stories for you. However, we thought to add this hack in case your target added you to their Close Friends list.
Hack #4: Use Anonymous View Extension in Google Chrome
You can also preview someone’s story anonymously with the Anonymous View extension. This works best if you access Instagram stories through Google Chrome.
You can add a Google Chrome extension like Ghostify and preview Instagram stories discreetly. Using this hack ensures you do not leave any trace of your presence behind.
While this is an effective hack that guarantees complete anonymity, you cannot use it on the Instagram mobile app. It works only on the Google Chrome browser on a computer.
Hack #5: Create a Secondary Instagram Account
Registering a secondary Instagram account is probably the most practical way to preview someone’s Insta stories. With this, you never have to worry about revealing your identity.
Here are the simple steps to use this hack:
- Open the Instagram app and create a new account using a different email ID, name, and username.
- After signing up, follow the person you want to view their Instagram stories.
- Go ahead to view their stories freely without worry.
A quick word of caution though – ensure you stay clear of any activities that violate Instagram’s terms of service.
You should also follow the platform’s guidelines to avoid getting your new account suspended.
Additionally, consider using mobile data or VPN to register a new account from another IP address. This ensures Instagram does not flag down your new page.
Hack #6: Use a 3rd-Party App
If you really want to go the extra mile, we recommend using a third-party app. Of course, some circumstances warrant acting the super detective, especially when it is a matter of the heart.
If you want to keep a tab on your teenage child on Instagram without them knowing, going the extra mile is worth it.
Also, trying to nab a cheating spouse without getting detected requires a measure of action. So, whatever reason you have to preview someone’s Insta stories, using a 3rd-party app is an option.
However, don’t just jump at any app that promises full anonymity without researching about it. Take the time to review the app, read users’ reviews and comments, and understand the possible risks.
Your online safety should be a priority. You may want to consider using a new Instagram account for your espionage adventure to protect your primary account’s security.
Some popular Instagram Story viewer apps that let you view Insta stories secretly include Secretly Story Viewer, InstaNavigation, Insta Stories Viewer, and InsCognito.