Imagine if you can’t attend your online meeting or class because you encounter the Zoom unable to install updates error code 10004. And now you’re wondering about the causes which made you see this error. Well, that feels quite frustrating and overwhelming. While this issue is fixable, you may need to spend a couple of hours or maybe a day to dig a solution.
So, in this article, you will find 8 methods to resolve the Zoom update 10004 problems. Moreover, you will understand the core reasons behind this error. All you need to do is follow these steps correctly on your PC or MacOS.
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is Zoom Unable to Install Updates Error Code 10004?
Zoom is a wonderful application for audio and video communication. The fact that it has served people around the world during the Covid-19 pandemic has made it a top priority among businesses and individuals.
However, many users have witnessed the error code 10004 Zoom update, but they don’t know what the issue is all about. The 10004 error is related to the Zoom Client update issue. The error occurs when the client has a problem connecting to the Zoom servers. It usually appears during Zoom audio and video calls, which creates a lot of difficulty.
For example, the error blocks you to continue with the call. Likewise, it may automatically sign you out from the app, restricting you to login again. However, if there are chats or important files in your conversation, they won’t be lost or missed.
Reasons for Seeing the Zoom Unable to Install Updates Error Code 10004
Here are a few reasons why the Zoom update error code 10004 appears are:
1. Failure to Update the Zoom App
If there was an update needed by the Zoom application, but you were unable to upgrade to the new version, it is because of the following.
- There is no space in your device
- The system requirements don’t match the new update
- You downloaded the Zoom application from any third-party website
Note: Always download Zoom from the official website.
2. Zoom Server Issue
One of the reasons why you are seeing this error is because of the server problems. There is a possibility that when you’re installing the update, the Zoom server is facing downtime. Moreover, there can be network glitches, system overload, or security issues that Zoom might be resolving. So, as a result, you are unable to update the software.
3. Zoom Client Automatic Update Failure
When you install Zoom, the app is set to auto-update by default. But Zoom gives you the option for Fast and Slow updates. In case the automatic updates are unchecked, this might cause the error code 10004 to occur. So make sure your automatic updates are turned on. Also, select how often you want the updates to install.
4. Weak Internet Connection
An extremely weak internet connection can cause the Zoom 10004 error to show up. Therefore, ensure your internet speed is fast enough to run the updates.
5. Third-Party App Interference
If you have an antivirus installed on your PC or Mac. Then, the chances are they are not letting you update the Zoom app and showing the error.
Fix 1: Visit Server Status Site to Check Zoom Unable to Install Updates Error Code 10004
If you are receiving the Zoom error 10004, you should check the service status from the official site. Checking the status of this service can give you a good idea. And help you know whether the error is due to the company or the application on your computer.
Here’s how to visit the Zoom server status.
- Step 1: Open your browser. It can be Chrome, Firefore, etc.
- Step 2: In the search bar, type “status.zoom.us” and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
Doing so will take you to the service status page, where you can see all the current updates and activities by the company.
- Step 3: If you see all the systems and functionalities of the Zoom app working fine, you will see the ‘All Systems Operational’ message.
- Step 4: To further ensure there is no error code 10004 issue from the company’s side. Scroll down to investigate different dropdown menus, such as ‘Zoom Support’ or ‘Zoom Meetings.’ You can click on the ‘+’ icon to see the status.
While scrolling down, look for the error message, which will appear in ‘Red’ color font. If all the systems work fine and have operational status, it means the Zoom servers are not causing the 10004 error.
So leave this fix and try the remaining ones below.
Fix 2: Download the Correct Version for Mac with Silicon Chips
Are you trying to update your client, but Zoom installing updates is stuck on Mac with error code 10004? In most cases, this is an issue of compatibility. From 2020 onwards, Apple has removed Intel chips and replaced them with silicon chips in all the Macs. So if you try to install Zoom on 2020 and later models, you need to download the software from the relevant link. Otherwise, you will get the error.
Here’s what you should do.
- Step 1: Go to the Zoom Download Center. You will find various Zoom client links for different operating systems. From there, download the one with ‘Silicon Chips.’
- Step 2: Install Zoom on your Mac from the downloaded setup. This should be a smooth process without showing any error code 10004.
Fix 3: Uninstall and Reinstall if You’re Unable to Install Due to Zoom Update 10004 on Mac
Several users have reported experiencing the error code 10004 during auto-update on the Mac desktop client. The issue is mostly found in devices with macOS 13 Ventura beta 5 or later and 5.11.6 to 5.12.0 Zoom client versions.
If that’s your case too, and the Zoom update won’t install on Mac, uninstall the client for resolution.
- Step 1: Open your Zoom desktop app on Mac.
- Step 2: Click on the ‘zoom.us’ option and choose ‘Uninstall Zoom.’
- Step 3: Click the ‘OK’ button to confirm your choice of uninstalling Zoom and its components. This should uninstall the app.
- Step 4: Now, click the ‘Apple’ icon on the top-left side of the screen and click the ‘Restart’ button.
- Step 5: Reboot the computer by following the prompts.
- Step 6: Now download the Zoom client again and reinstall it.
Note: If the above method doesn’t uninstall Zoom, follow these bonus troubleshooting steps.
- Step 1: Open your Mac and click on ‘Finder’
- Step 2: Look for the ‘Applications’ folder and go to the ‘Zoom’ app location.
- Step 3: Move the cursor on the Zoom icon and right-click in once. From there, click on the ‘Show Package Contents’ to open a folder that contains all Zoom files.
- Step 4: Find the ‘Frameworks’ folder inside the contents folder.
- Step 5: Find a file named ‘ZoomUninstaller’ and double-click it to uninstall the application.
- Step 6: Restart your Apple desktop and reinstall Zoom.
However, if Zoom unable to install updates error code 10004 still exists, you can submit your complaint to Zoom Support with the following information:
- Operating system
- Meeting ID
- How and when did you receive the error
Or, you can try the next methods to resolve this issue.
Fix 4: Use a PC Optimizer Tool to Fix Zoom Unable to Install Updates Error Code 10004
Although a PC optimizer tool is not meant to resolve the error code 10004 directly. But it may have an indirect impact. Remember, an optimizer removes the affected files from your computer and also replaces the old files with newer ones.
So if there are some corrupt Zoom files that cause this error, the optimizer can help in removing them and replacing them with fresh versions. To do that:
- Step 1: Download and install any PC optimizer of your choice on your computer.
- Step 2: Launch the tool and scan your hard drive. This will eventually show you the corrupted files, and you may find Zoom as one of the victims.
- Step 3: Once the scan is complete, the tool you have will give you options to repair or delete the corrupt file. Choose repair to let the optimizer fix the error for you.
- Step 4: Restart your PC and relaunch the Zoom app.
Note: PC optimizer tools work best on Windows OS. In case no Zoom files are affected, you should try other fixes in this article.
Fix 5: Manually Update Your Zoom to Eliminate the Unable to Install Zoom Updates Error Code 10004
If you haven’t been lucky with the above solutions, try manually updating your Zoom application. Sometimes, you accidentally remove the auto-update option, which pauses your Zoom client to update to the newest version or bug fixes. Therefore, it is strongly suggested to update Zoom manually. It is a straightforward process and can help you fix the 10004 error.
- Step 1: Open Zoom on PC or Mac. Ignore the update 10004 error if it shows at this stage.
- Step 2: Go to the top-right side of the app and click your user icon.
- Step 3: You will see a list of options. From there, select ‘Check for Updates.’
If your Zoom is up-to-date, a message will prompt saying ‘You are up to date’ like this.
However, if your application requires an update, you will see a Zoom Update prompt.
- Step 4: Allow the ‘blue’ progress bar to complete till the end. Do not cancel the process.
- Step 5: Once it’s done, click on the ‘Install’ button.
- Step 6: A new window will pop up that will inform you that the update is still in progress.
- Step 7: Once the blue bar is complete, relaunch the app.
Upon successful update, you will see a small message window on the right corner of the app.
Fix 6: Check Your Internet Speed and Try Again to Get Rid of the 10004 Code Error
Most of the time, Zoom unable to install updates error code 10004 shows up because of a slow internet speed. Since the connection is not solid, the app struggles to find a rigid way to install the updates on your computer. As a result, you can see different Zoom errors, including the 10004.
Keep in mind that Zoom requires 1.5 Mbps to 3.0 Mbps of internet speed to function smoothly for audio/video calls and updates. If your speed is below the benchmark, there are more chances of getting the 10004 error code. Here’s a brief step-by-step guide to solving this issue.
- Step 1: You must check your current internet speed. To do that, open your browser, type ‘fast.com’ in the search bar and hit ‘Enter.’’
- Step 2: You will be taken to a website called ‘FAST.’ The site will automatically begin to check your internet speed. It will hardly take a few seconds and show you the current speed. For example, in the screenshot below, you can see that the internet speed is 12 Mbps.
- Step 3: Click the ‘Show more info’ button to see more details about your net speed.
However, if your speed is below the benchmark, connect your device to another source of the internet or restart the router. This should solve the problem.
Fix 7: Disable Antivirus Program to Overcome the Zoom Code 10004 Error
If Zoom is unable to install updates because of the error code 10004 on your Mac or PC. Then, it s time to check your antivirus or firewall’s active status. These applications block Zoom from connecting to the internet or server. As a consequence, you get to see the 10004 error. So you must ensure that the anti-virus software isn’t blocking the internet.
- Step 1: Open your computer and click the hamburger icon (three parallel lines) next to ‘Settings.’
- Step 2: It will open a menu list with different options. From there, choose ‘Privacy & security.’
- Step 3: Now, click on the ‘Windows Security’ option.
And select the ‘Open Windows Security’ option.
- Step 4: As soon as you click it, you will see another menu list with several options. Click on ‘Virus & threat protection,’ and under the ‘Virus & threat protection settings’ heading, click ‘Manage settings.’
- Step 5: Once again, the screen will show you a bunch of more options. So, look for the ‘Real-time protection’ heading and toggle off the button.
This will turn off your anti-virus program on Windows. You can also disable any downloaded antivirus software from the internet on your Mac or Windows operating system from its settings.
Fix 8: Turn Off Background Applications to Put an End to Zoom Update Error Code 10004 on Mac and Windows
Multitasking is great but may cause trouble, like seeing error code 10004 on your PC or Mac. The problem is that when the apps are running in the background, they consume most of your device’s resources needed to update the Zoom client. This includes your RAM, internet speed, and more. You face the error when these resources become inadequate for the Zoom app.
For example, have a look at this screenshot to understand how the background applications may look.
The only fix is to make sure the next time you update the app, close all the background programs before checking moving forward. Otherwise, you won’t be able to make the error 10004 disappear.
If you are experiencing Zoom unable to install updates error code 10004, you need to check your device to solve the problem. There can be several causes for this error to appear. For instance, ignoring the update, server issue, no checkmark on auto updation, poor connectivity, or other applications interference.
But the good news is that you can undo this error by viewing the server status of Zoom. It will help you know if the problem is from the company’s side. If that’s the case, the issue will be resolved on its own. Moreover, you must always download Zoom from its official website. If you have silicon chips in your Mac, make sure to install the compatible version.
Likewise, try uninstalling and reinstalling the client or use a PC optimizer to correct the corrupt files. Furthermore, you can also manually update the software. And most importantly, you should have a reliable internet connection, turn off background apps, and deactivate any antivirus programs. Apply all these methods, and surely you will find a way out of this trouble.
Q1. What is error code 10004?
The error code 10004 means that your Mac or Windows PC has failed to update the Zoom app.
Q2. Why is my Zoom not installing?
If you are unable to install Zoom, you should check your storage capacity. In some cases, Zoom cannot update the app or install it after uninstalling it due to a lack of storage.
Q3. Why does the Zoom app keep saying unable to install updates?
If you are constantly getting the message that says unable to install updates. It means there is some kind of problem with your internet connection. Check your internet speed and restart the router before trying again.